Sunday, November 15, 2009

Palos Verdes, CA.

Nestled just north of the hustle and bustle of where I live in Long Beach lies a beautiful and pristine area known as Palos Verdes. Palos Verdes is actually the name given to a group of coastal cities located on the Palos Verdes Peninsula.
I'd heard a lot about the Peninsula before but I had never had the chance to check it out. Yesterday I had the unique opportunity to explore the area for the first time. I had no idea what to expect and absolutely no idea what I was in store for: beautiful cliffs, dramatic vistas, crashing ocean waves, and oh yah, my favorite... abandoned houses! I had my Polaroid Land Camera 440 along with me for the trip and I am quite pleased with some of images I was able to capture:






The area known as Portuguese Bend on the Peninsula suffered a tremendous land slide in the late 1950's. The land movement continues to this day and requires constant road construction and maintenance. The land slide destroyed many homes in the area which still remain on the cliffs. I've been to many abandoned places before... but nothing quite like these houses. They seemed so erie and completely out of place, being surrounded by such pristine beauty...




6 comments:

Mary Roy said...

Hi! I love your site, your photos, your wonderful, crappy photos. Love.

Question: where do you get polaroid film? I love polaroids and am heartbroken they put an end to them. Can you help?

Stephanie Thomas said...

Awe gee, thanks! Thank you very much for your kind words :)

I can still find film off of eBay and Craigslist...and even Polapremium has pretty fresh Polaroid film... I'm always following The Impossible Project...hopefully they'll have full Polaroid production up and running soon!

said...

this set is gorgeous stephanie . . .

Anonymous said...

hi.
more posts. please. :)

<3

bval said...

I'm on a pretty draining job right now..then I looked at your photos. Beautiful work, Steph, you really inspire me. Congrats on all your progress. I t pushes me to be a better artist.

Stephanie Thomas said...

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to check out my blog and leave me such encouraging words! You made my day... thanks Brian :)